Sunday, May 18, 2008

Short Story: Regrets

It is human nature to go through with something without expecting it...
Yet, why don’t we accept the fact of sorrow?


Regrets


Have you ever felt the feeling during a break up? You cannot tell the differences between day and night. You can’t sleep at night or can’t move to save your life. Even your throat feels so sore that you can’t speak out the words. The pain conquering your body and your mind alongside with a heartache you can’t heal…


Knock! Knock!

Who is at the door at this ungodly hour? I got up lazily and went towards the door. It was the postman.


“Oh, sorry…” he said nervously. “A thousand apologies. I am here to send a package to a Mr. Henry? We also regret for sending this package late. Seven days late, actually due to some technical difficulties.”


With this heartache, what difference does it makes when something arrive late by a week of not.


“No problem,” I said coldly. Then closed the door behind me and turned over the package. It was from Sally. I opened the package and tied my unbelievably long hair. Inside this package, there was a long letter along with a cassette. It was Sally’s demo. Sally wanted to be a singer and she was brilliant at singing. I put in her demo tape and then opened the letter.


Dear Henry,


It’s been 2 months since we’ve contacted… since we broke up… Actually, I really miss you that I have the urge to know how you’ve been now yet, I have no courage to ask you. I wish I could call you but I know, I do, you will continue to hate me. I don’t know what is my status in your life, Henry. Yet, I want you to know that I’ve never misused any privilege you’ve given me. I never betrayed your love although sadly, I admit that my heart belonged to Richard. I was depressed when you decided to break up with me. Please, believe me when I say that I can’t live without you. When I hear our song, it is only natural to see you in the back of my mind. I will never forget the first time me met at Daniel’s gathering. When you told me your name, I felt so much joy and to know that you liked me too, made my heart jumped for joy. Along with this letter is my demo, Henry. I wrote it just for you. Although, you are not much of a music person, I hope you will listen to my demo. I also hope you will appreciate the lyrics I’ve included in this letter.

Henry my Love,

If you still love me, will you meet me at the gardens where you used to take me for our dates? July 23rd, I shall wait for you.

Love always and forever, Sally.


Loving you always, Being with you by my side, Baby, with you everything seems perfect, just like the garden of Eden…


After reading the letter, I knew what I had to do. I ran out from the house and went straight to Sally’s place. Suddenly, all I see in my mind was Sally.


Sally, how could I be so selfish? Why was I so blind in this relationship?


“Henry, looking for Sally?” her mother asked when I asked if Sally was at home. “Well, now, she went out this morning… looking quite upset… and till now, she’s not home yet…”


“What is the date, Mrs. D?” I asked trying to catch my breath.


“July… 23rd. What’s wrong, Henry?”


“Oh. My. God. Nothing… I think I know where Sally might be! I have to go, Mrs. D!” I said as I turned away and ran straight for the gardens.


Now, I finally understand; Sally, I still love you. This time, I won’t let you go no matter what the circumstances maybe. Nothing will stop me from loving you again, Sally. Wait for me, Sally…


When I arrived at the gardens, I felt a grave shock. Sally… Sally, what are you doing there? Please… come down from there… I love you, Sally… answer me… please… Why are you crying? Your tears are red…


Above me, Sally was hanging above me. She commited suicide. I was too late. Then I remembered what the postman said. I felt so much regret. In her hands, she held tight was a note saying; “Why didn’t you come, Henry?”


“NOOOO!! SALLY!!!!!” I cried out regretfully… “Why do you have to go? Why didn’t you wait for me, Sally???”


MORALE: Breaking up is hard and painful but take it as a lesson… Suicide is not the answer to all questions of the heart. Be strong and love yourself. Yet, if you truly love someone, you are will to wait until something better walk into your life...