Friday, May 16, 2008

Thoughts on Photography

I admit. I am only learning and I don't take good pictures. Hey, I am no pro, so why should that ass make a statement as in to say that, he is the best at it.






That is my favorite picture... The only one that I've ever taken and actually liked. That is just using a Point and Shoot Camera (Sony Cybershot DSC P-200). There is another picture that I really like taken with my Sony Ericsson W700i.






I really love this picture. Someone actually thought I used a DSLR but when I gave them the this:-

Camera: Sony Ericsson W700i
Exposure: 0.005 sec (1/200)
Aperture: f/2.8
ISO Speed: 100
Exposure Bias: 0/10 EV
Orientation: Horizontal (normal)
X-Resolution: 72 dpi
Y-Resolution: 72 dpi

I think, I was just being lucky. Seriously being lucky. Yet, when I think about it... some people actually uses photography to show off. I think photography is all about the passion. It is like football only the gears are more complex. You have more equipment and yes, expensive too. But price does not matter if there is the passion for it.

I like photography because to me, photography is actually art. It is also just like literature but it does not tell its story with words. Unlike literature, one picture tells a lot of stories. Only one picture can describe with one look or thought. Photography is all about getting to know what is all around you. It is a skill to SHARE but NOT to show it off.

It still ticks me at another souls' attitudeS. They expect to get a low price in learning the ART of photography but then, they want a professional performance. Hello? That is not a 'equivalent trade'. There is a high price to everything now. You don't expect to learn something professionally without paying a large sum of money. If you can afford to show off your expensive toy, why bother buying if you are not honest in learning? I would pay thousands just to learn new skills and then bring it out and share with other people.

I respect Saiful Nang (our local photographer - this is the guy who took Ning Baizura's wedding pictures and the pictures were superb!) The reason why I respect him has a story apparently.

This month, Kelab Fotografi Kenyalang (Kenyalang Photography Club) or known as KFK organized a workshop with Saiful Nang. He actually sacrificed other engagement just to come down here and share his knowledge with them. I wanted to go but I had some other unavoidable engagement, so I can't go. That is why I respect him.

Despite him taking them to weird places like those back alleys in Kuching, the pictures he took were out-of-this-world. That is one talented photographer. The best part, what he did was priceless... because he shared his skills... It makes you feel contented.

Unlike SOME people, who actually talk through their noses... well, they tend to think that they are perfect when the pictures that they take look so normal. Let me define normal. Doesn't mean you are holding a DSLR (an expensive one come to think of it), doesn't mean your pictures are good. Even my 15 year old sister can take nicer pictures! That is how I define it as normal. It looks NORMAL. It is just there. From what I understand, Saiful Nang pictures with just an 18 - 75 mm lense (correct me if I am wrong)... where as some other people bother with those wide lense technic... If a professional could do it with just an 18 - 75 mm lense, why must some AMATEURS bother using other lenses?

I don't know what is on people's minds. Sometimes, it disgust me to see them using their skills to show off. These are the people who won't even share knowledge with anyone. It is sick. They are sick. Owh well.

Photography is something to be shared by all. That way, we can see how beautiful life really is. Some people are just too... conceited. They exist. What to do? Tolerate them. There is nothing else to do but to tolerate them~