
PLEASE
DO
NOT
CONTINUE
IF
YOU
CANNOT
ACCEPT
SARCASM.
Thanks.
I am being a
hardcore Sarawakian
today.
I find it frustrating that people think that Sarawak is a COUNTRY on its own. We are ALSO MALAYSIANS.
I had a conversation with someone.
ME : Kuching had been raining heavily lately but there are parts of Sarawak have not been raining.
ANONYMOUS : Aiyo, here in Malaysia hot like Hell...
I became somewhat left out. I may be a Sarawakian but I am ALSO a Malaysian. Why can't people think that SARAWAK IS A STATE IN MALAYSIA.
Sarawak is the largest state in Malaysia, an outback of sheer beauty rich in resources such as pepper, cocoa, palm oil, timber and oil. With an area of 124,450 sq. km, it is a region of endless fascination, possessing the largest cave chamber in the world, verdant jungles, unique fauna and flora, white beaches, and remote islands. Its population of 1.5 million people is as rich and varied as the land. (from Malaysia/Sarawak)
Why are we forgotten as Malaysians? Read Wikipedia's information about Sarawak. I know we joined MALAYSIA only on September 16th 1963 but doesn't mean we aren't Malaysians, too.
For more ACTUAL information about Sarawak, our Government have their own Official Portal.
Sarawak Tanah Air Ku
Negeri Ku Tanah Air Ku Sarawak
Engkaulah Tanah Pusaka Ku
Tanah Tumpah Darah Ku
Ibu Pertiwi Ku
Rakyat Hidup Mesra dan Bahagia
Damai Muhibbah Sentiasa
Bersatu Berusaha Berbakti
Untuk Sarawak Ku Cintai
Sarawak Dalam Malaysia
Aman Makmur Rahmat Tuhan Maha Esa
Kekallah Sarawak Bertuah
Teras Perjuangan Rakyat
Berjaya Berdaulat
That is our state anthem. It's call Ibu Pertiwi Ku. It is more offensive when someone come up to me and ask, "You Sarawakians still live on trees?" Gosh, who is more backwards here? The person asking the question or me, being the Sarawakian.
I even did a survey on my Facebook due to my annoyance about this girl, Hani Tarmizi.
Enjoy :) Don't be offended by this post. But feel sorry for those who feel offended with all the questions asked.
1)Do we live in trees?
=> Yes. We do. Our trees are firm and strong. They are called APARTMENTS, FLATS... and even the Melanau house and those extra large longhouses. In other words, they provide us more shelter than you think :)
2) how to get to sarawak from other states?
=> Well, we have this large flying boats. To name a few brands, MAS, Air Asia and so forth. If to places like Sabah, Brunei or Kalimantan, we use these animals with round legs that spins. They are called buses and cars and bikes.
3) people in sarawak are half naked? or sarawakian clothes made of tree bark?
=> We all run around half naked when we are young, don't we. Well, our clothes are made from cotton and other types of cloth. Did you know, some of our cloth are being imported from places like Indonesia, Korean, Japan and so forth? China, too. We wear silk, too, in case you didn't know
4) people in sarawak eat ulat and raw food?
=> "ulat" is HIGH in protein. So, we do eat them but only as exotic delicacy. And some of our food are raw. Japanese, too eat raw food. Isn't sushi raw, too?
5) sarawakians can cook ka?
=> If what my boyfriend's mother is doing in the kitchen isn't called cooking, then I wonder what it is. She can cook awesome curry and other things. My sisters can bake. We have a lot of things people seek for here. We are famous for our laksa Sarawak and mee kolok.
6) do we live in the jungle?
=> Yes. Our jungle are strong and firm. Concrete, too. We also have natural green jungles that provides to the eco-system. Hence our state being very cool and shady.
7) people living in sarawak are orang asli isit?
=> We are MULTI-RACIAL. Our natives are RACES. NOT ORANG ASLI. We have Malays, Chinese, Indians, Ibans, Bidayuh, Melanaus and the list goes on. Did you know also that some of us have EURASIAN relatives. I for a fact have Norwegian cousins, aunts and uncles and countless relatives from Australia. I might not be the only one though.
8) what language do people speak in Sarawak?
=> We speak A LOT of English, Bahasa Sarawak, Bahasa Melayu, Mandarin, Hokkien, Tamil, Iban, Bidayuh, Melanau Mukah, Melanau Daro and other languages. Aku ingga benar ngan owang yang sik tauk ujonk dirik mpun ya. Asa up glak cdak ya kowh. Did you understand what I said if you are NOT Sarawakian? :)
9) do we have technology here?
=> I think I snail mailed this post to the Facebook office in Palo Alto so that they can post this note for me. For your information, we in Sarawak use laptops like Vaio, Dell, Benq. Some of us uses MacBook for that matter. We can make video calls through our cellphones made by Nokia, Sony Ericsson, Samsung. Owh, owh, we could also WEBCAM to our friends too. We have wifi provided by Deconnexion, DiGi, TMNet and so forth. Did you know all that. But I think you'd be more convinced if I said I snail mailed this note to the people in Palo Alto. Owh, wait, how did I know Facebook's main office is in Palo Alto? Wikipedia, yo!
10) people in sarawak walk and swing like monkeys isit to get around?
=> Did you know I ride a GIANT RED TORTOISE I name The Satria Neo to get around town? :) Cool, egh? To feed my tortoise, I spend at least RM70 a week to fill her. Psst, did you know, all our mode of transportation here are female? My Mum rides a Jaguar and they bite. Really they do. :)
Note the sarcasm in my answers. I was angry that day. I am glad the people I know don't ask me these questions. Before you start badmouthing about my state, surf the net first and find out.
Call me a hardcore Sarawakian. Thanks! I love my state. I enjoy staying in KL no doubt but as far as I am concerned, Sarawak Will Always Be My Home.
Kenny Sia has a blog written and I loved this particular entry! :)
Got to go now, hope to take pictures of Kuching today :D